Directorate of Animal Health is the National Focal Point of Veterinary Services in Nepal and it works as a National Veterinary Authority representing Government of Nepal, Ministry of Agriculture Development, Department of Livestock Services. Directorate of Animal Health mostly focused its program and activities for the prevention, diagnosis and control of animal diseases. Most of these diseases are of economic and zoonotic value which includes Highly Pathogenic and Emerging Diseases (HPEDs). The directorate is also carrying out activities for the protection of the public health with veterinary inspection including quality control.
Directorate of Animal Health is playing pivotal role in formulating legislation as per the international commitments, enforcement and application of internationally acceptable standards for veterinary quality control (animal, animal products and production materials), control of animal diseases of economic and zoonotic value (including HPEDs), and safeguarding the public health.
- Develop and implement control and eradication program for diseases of livestock and poultry.
- Set standard, norms and develop monitoring system to improve quality of veterinary services and livestock production as a whole.
- Provide national animal health data and information to the OIE and other international agencies.
- Constantly develop and improve animal health services to meet the prevailing international standard and requirement.
- Co-ordinate and run emergency veterinary services during epidemics/outbreaks of economically important livestock diseases.
- Assist Department of Livestock Services in developing animal health policy and strategy for prevention and control of livestock and poultry diseases.
- Co-ordinate technical aspects of veterinary services with national and international organizations to provide effective and quality animal health services.